Wednesday, April 15, 2009

LOVE by Frank Nitt featuring DJ Quick & J Blaq produced by Terrace Martin

Alright, I am really excited about this song right here, not because it's called LOVE or even because Frank Nitty is fam...BUT because this video for this song will be my very first directorial debut. I am very grateful and want to first off thank Frank Nitt just for the opportunity for taking a chance on me to even do this. And to Mike Ross (CEO of Delicious Vinyl) for letting this be the official video for his new single and also for letting us use his house to shoot. His bathroom is about the size of my guest house. Anyways, how this video even came about is beyond me. It all started when Frank asked me to send out a flyer as a bulletin blast on myspace and facebook. He teamed up with AquaSwiss Watch and put out a contest where anybody could submit a video on whatever they think LOVE is to them. Well, Frank knowing I'm an aspiring film maker said why don't I put something together. So, I teamed up with two close friends of mine that have their own production team, shouts to my brothers Earnest and Imani. Within less than a week, we came up with locations, planned out the story and got our friends together in a moments notice. What started out as an idea became a whole video shot in one weekend and might I say, no $. We were straight Guerilla stylin. Bowfingers and all up in LAX and In and Out. The vision for this video was kind of pulled from a poem I wrote called, "Hood Love is Good Love". The couple in the video (friends of mine...Jennie and Michael)were based around my own experience with an MC. I USED to be married to a rapper. I wanted to capture the relateable and realistic side of a regular boyfriend/girlfriend type relationship. Not the ultra made up fantasy of your diva prada model bitch and the pimp throwin dollars in the air eating shrimp and champagne. Strictly B girls and B Boys. I wanted to capture the down ass chick that has your back selling your merch, committed to you even when you act a fool. Faithful and reppin you strong while you are on tour.The one who helps you pack your bags AND even picks you up from the airport when you get back from overseas. There were so many elements that I wanted to capture in this video. For one, I wanted to give my Filipino peoples some shine. I didn't even really plan this but my friend Jenny the lead is filipino, my friend Michael the dude lead is filipino, Rhettmatic...& of course myself. I ultimately wanted to shoot "normal" people of all races. There were no models or actresses. Everybody that participated in this was the homie and literally came through just for the love. Thank you again for all who came out & special thanks to the crew. I also wanted to bring back the fun that we used to see in Hip Hop videos. When everybody wasn't so serious or out to murder someone. There were no egos and everyone was just chillin and acting a fool. You can clearly capture the spirit and energy when you see it for yourself. We filmed inside 7-11 off Pico and La Brea with no permits only because the Lighting guy, "David", worked there and the owner loves him like a son. One more crazy divine situation to this project was how we got the fly caddy that you see hydraulickin(lol:)in the parking lot. A couple months ago I was making my usual run to 7-11. My friend Jeanette & I pulled up next to this fly Luis Vuitton top Caddy. It was so fly I had to get his number just in case of a photo shoot or something. Well, who would have known I would be using it for a video a couple months later. I called up John the owner and he happily agreed. He was hella cool and I know our meeting was totally divine. I told him I had no $ but I'd shout his name so it could be used for videos or something. He mentioned it already had been used. He explained to me his first cousin is Kanye West and also his bodyguard. You can see the front grill of his car in Hype Williams, "Heartless" video. Well, as you can see I am so excited about this project and we still have yet to shoot the legendary DJ Quick this weekend. Shouts to Terrace Martin. Such a sweetheart and the bomb ass saxophonist, you'll see. Real thing coming soon. Stay tuned. Peace, LOVE Tiana

Miss Jenny
Thank you John for letting  me use The Don
DJ Quick  and Terrace Martin
thanks Stace for the Behind the Scenes footage:)

No comments:

Post a Comment